The Fellowship Requirements
- Who can apply for the Fellowship?
All Swiss residents aged 18 or over can apply.
- Do I have to be a Swiss citizen?
No, but you must submit a copy of a valid, machine-readable ID and proof of Swiss residency.
- Do I need to have digital skills to apply?
No, you don’t need to have digital skills to become a Fellow. You’ll start courses at the beginner level and progressively gain hands-on knowledge and skills.
- Are there educational prerequisites?
No, there are no prior educational requirements for the Fellowship or for these courses: you don’t need a degree to apply or enroll.
- Do I need to be able to speak English?
Yes. All courses and learner support are in English. A B1 level in English is a requirement to ensure you are able to get the most from this experience.
- What are the technical requirements for taking the courses?
You’ll need a computer with macOS, Windows or Linux. You won't be able to follow the coursework or complete the course courses on a tablet or smartphone. You’ll also need a webcam, microphone and high-speed Internet connection to stream videos and participate in video chats.
The Application Process
- Where do I apply?
Applications must be submitted on the www.mydigitalfuture.ch website.
- How can I amend or change my application?
Once you have started the application process, you can log in at www.mydigitalfuture.ch and modify your work as long as your application has not been submitted. Once you have submitted your application, you cannot make any further changes.
The Selection Process
- What kind of applicants are you looking for?
We’re looking for drive, determination and a clear motivation for learning and using digital skills. We’re looking for people who are convinced that with the right skills, they can change their future.
- What happens once I submit my application?
You will receive a confirmation e-mail once your application has been submitted.
- How will I know if I have won a Fellowship?
We will inform selected Fellows by e-mail.
- When will the first course start?
Fellows will be able to select from a range of dates between June and July 2019 to start the first course, Foundations of Digital Literacy.
- If I win a Fellowship, can I change my mind and decide not to participate?
Yes. Once you have received an e-mail from us informing you that you have won, you will have 10 days to decide whether or not to participate in the Fellowship.
The Learning Journey
- What exactly will I learn during the Fellowship?
For an overview of the learning path and courses, visit the What You'll Learn page.
- How long will it take me to complete the six courses?
The six online courses are all self-paced, so it depends on how many hours a week you dedicate to them. We estimate that if you can dedicate 12-15 hours a week to the courses, you should be able to complete each one in approximately two months. You will have access to the courses for 24 months if you need more time.
- Do I have to take all six courses?
No, you can decide to stop your learning at any time.
- Can I skip one of the courses?
No, you must take each course to move to the next one. Each course builds upon the previous learnings to add to your level of knowledge, programming ability and expertise.
- If I quit before completing the six courses, do I still get an EPFL diploma?
No. In order to get an EPFL COS diploma, you must complete all six courses and the final capstone project. For each course you complete, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from the EPFL Extension School.
- What if I get stuck or have problems with a course?
As a Fellow, you’ll receive 1-1 support from instructors as needed throughout your learning journey to help ensure you understand the material. You’ll also have the opportunity to ask questions within the learner platform to get help on specific topics.
- What if I want to take the Machine Learning track or other courses that are not included in the Fellowship?
The Fellowship gives access to the Web Development track only. You can however enroll in the other courses offered by the EPFL Extension School at exts.epfl.ch. We are enrolling learners on a regular basis.